Scoliosis Exercises That a Patient Should Do To Strengthen the Torso
Scoliosis is lateral curvature of the spine. This is a deformation and should not be taken as any type of diseases or infection. If this happens in any kind of muscle or bone disease then the condition can be worse and such state of scoliosis is known as neuromuscular scoliosis. To correct this scoliosis exercises are done along with other medical aids. Functional scoliosis is also one such scoliosis that is caused due to another disorder or disease. Such scoliosis happens when any part of the body is uneven and causes stress on the spine, for example if one leg is larger than another then it will cause stress on the spine. It is spine that holds torso, head and all other limbs together, so it should be stress free.
In all these conditions it is important to keep the torso and back strong. To keeping them right there are some special scoliosis exercises that a patient should practice daily at least 10 times once or twice a day.
- Lie down straight and lift your leg as bicycling, keep doing that for at least 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure that while you perform this exercise your back and hand is parallel to the earth.
- Now keep lying down but keep your legs like sitting on chair. Keep your legs together and rotate your knees from side to side, try avoiding your abdomen to move along.
- Now sit in squatting position and keep your hands back, join your hands together and then lift head and shoulder back. Try doing this 10 to 20 times at a time.
- Now lie down parallel facing your head to the ground and don’t tilt or raise any part of your body. Now tilt the pelvis and make a tunnel under your abdomen, and pinch your shoulder blade together. Keep your hands parallel and on both sides. Now slowly raise your head, shoulder and hand till 6 inches above the grown and lie back. While doing this any part of your body should not move.
- In the same position try raising your body straight up to 45 degree angle with the ground. Keep your body from your knee to head straight and lower part of the knee straight and parallel to the ground.
- Now get up and sit on any chair, keep your hands behind your head and hold your head. Now slowly lean forward in such a way that your tummy touches your knees. Raise back, but make sure that only your head and shoulder moves and none.
- Now lie down on a table, your body up your waist should be at the edge of the table, now try seeing down the table by moving your head and shoulder down and lift it back till your shoulder is straight in line with the table.
All the above stated scoliosis exercises are optional and should only be done either in presence of any occupational therapist or as advised by your orthopedist. These exercises should be done till correction of scoliosis or till operation of scoliosis.